Stuck for new career ideas? Have you been frustrated looking at professions and not be able to gauge which ones are going to be suitable for you? Are you possibly even considering self-employment ideas?
When looking at career change ideas it is important to first establish what your own priorities are going to be and then work out what professions/trade/job would be suitable.
Once you’ve established a specific career path you’d like to pursue then it’s easy to research each career in more depth or brainstorm unique business ideas.
Many people rush into choosing a new profession when they need a new career. They fail to establish what their own priorities are and therefore end up in new careers which aren’t suited to their own personal goals.
You shouldn’t make this mistake too! The following 3-step process makes sure that your career ideas are perfectly suited to your own priorities in life.
- Prioritize what you actually want & need from a job.
- Review the 160 careers listed below to see which ones match up with your top priorities.
- Research your favorite new career ideas.
Step 1 – Create a short list of your job priorities
When venturing into new careers it is important to work out what your own priorities are going to be. Below are eight of the main categories which are often used.
- Startup your own company/ be your own boss
- High earning lucrative careers
- Creativity and the ability to express yourself
- Manual dexterity or careers that work with your hands
- Outdoor work
- Roles that involve travel – E.G. Computer consultancy support services
- Be of value to society – making a difference in your community
- Human interaction
TASK: Pick the top two priorities for new careers you want to consider.
Step 2 – Review the new career ideas which are aligned to your priorities
You need a new career which is going to satisfy the top priorities you had from step one. The table below lists off 160 trades, professions and new career ideas which you can consider.
- These profession attributes are generalizations: Every single role is going to be different and can differ from state to state, country to country.
For example, police officers generally work outdoors, but there are still a large percentage based in police stations. Likewise, most actors do not have a lucrative career but there are exceptions that prove the rule.
The professions listed here provide career change ideas which you may not have already considered, but which have general attributes which could suit the direction in which you want to take your career.
|Career||Startup your own business||High Earning||Creative||Manual Dexterity||Outdoor Work||Travel||Be Of Value To Society||Human Interaction|
|Actor / Musician|
|Advertising art director|
|Air cabin crew|
|Animal care assistant|
|Animal welfare officer|
|Art gallery curator|
|Computer games developer|
|Cruise ship steward|
|DIY and repairs|
|Education welfare officer|
|Garden centre worker|
|Generate income from your hobby or interest|
|Greeting cards & gift cards|
|Hanging basket maintenance|
|Insurance risk assessor|
|Jewellery designer and maker|
|Make up artist|
|Museum education officer|
|Organic veg box delivery|
|Personal fitness trainer|
|Pet food home delivery|
|Proofreading & editing|
|Property finding service|
|Road maintenance worker|
|Senior civil servant|
|Senior police officer|
|Special needs teacher|
|Theatre props maker|
|Tourist information centre assistant|
|Web site designer|
|Welfare rights adviser|
|Work with animals|
TASK: Note down those careers which satisfy your first and second priority.
Step 3 – Research some of your favorite career change ideas
You should now have a short list of new careers you might be interested in. You finish up by doing more research into each of your favorites. The nature of the profession can vary greatly depending on where you are located so you need to find good local information about that profession.
Here are some key things you need to consider:
- What kind of salary can you expect from the role?
- Do you need training or education to get started? If so, what institutions provide this training and how much will it cost?
- Do you need to do an apprenticeship?
- Is there demand for this trade within your local community? Check Golden Pages to see how many professionals are actually doing that trade/career in your area.
Comparing the various types of performance appraisal methods.