Any good business plan presentation you do will help management, employees and clients to understand the nature of the business. While a business plan pdf can be effective, a slide-show usually is easier to follow and remember.
Following are some pointers for you to keep in mind when making a business plan presentation. These points can be handy when setting up your own business and presenting to venture capitalists and banks.
What NOT To Do
When creating business plan presentations, you should never:
- Attempt to put the entire plan into your slides. This will make your presentation appear cluttered.
- Rely solely on the presentation to explain the nature of your business plan. You should be prepared to expound on the slides.
- Use multitudes of colors. This is distracting for your audience.
- Use bright, gaudy colors. This detracts from the message of what you are presenting.
- Over-use graphics and animations. Some business road map planning software options can export complex graphics and flash files, but you shouldn’t feel the need to use them. Remember that clarity and simplicity often pays off better.
- Do not capitalize words inside a sentence. This is not considered good business practice. It is in fact the equivalent of yelling at someone.
- Highlight text.
- Bold or underline large portions of your text. Bold should only be used for titles and headings, or if a word absolutely must stand out from the rest. This same rule applies to underlining portions of your text.
- Add music or sound effects to the slides. This is distracting for your listeners and prevents the speaker from explaining the points being brought out.
Things You’ve Got To Do
Following are some things that you should do in order to create an effective power point presentation of your simple business plan structure:
- Take the time to find a good business plan presentation template.
- Make a business plan presentation sample and show it to a few of your colleagues. Others may notice errors that you are making that were missed.
- Use either black (or white on dark backgrounds) for the text.
- Use graphics sparingly.
- Use bullet points. Bullet points make things clear and help your audience to remember key points brought out in your slides.
- Use the same font for the entire slide show. Choose a clear font that is not overly artistic. Some of the many good fonts to use are Arial, Times New Roman, Calibri and Century Gothic.
You should present by going over the points clearly expanding upon your ideas. If the business plan presentation is to be done by someone else (and you are simply the author) then make sure that he or she is familiar with the business plan in its entirety before hand.
You will also want to arrive early on the next day to set the slide show up on your computer. It is not uncommon for technical glitches to cause the software to not work properly; catching problems early can save the speaker a great deal of embarrassment during the meeting. Keep backups on a USB drive in case you need to borrow a second PC.
REMEMBER: A business plan presentation will help people to remember the key points of the business plan. However, there is more to creating an effective presentation than simply laying out the business plan in a PowerPoint format. You should take the time to identify the key points and lay them out in an attractive, easy to read manner. Following the tips mentioned above can help just about anyone to create an effective presentation of the company business plan.